Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 1: Welcome to Jamaica

Upon my arrival in Jamaica, all of my senses are tapped. The air smells of wildlife, plants, and smoked meat. Driving through the Jamaican countryside, the land goes from mountain to field to jungle - so many ecosystems in such a small proximity. Jamaican food is flavorful and as vibrant as the people. The exclusively cold water coming from my shower feels refreshing and uncomfortable. All of the buildings are colorful pastels and jewel tones. Even the equivalent of the IRS building in Montego Bay was cotton candy pink and aqua blue. Drivers use their horns liberally, about as liberally as the Jamaican people use the word "man." One of my favorite things is that there is always music playing. One house in Petersfield blasts music all day and night. Its always comforting when you're lying awake at night and someone is playing reggae versions of your favorite pop-country hits, circa 1983-1996. I really do love this place.

In my notes, I drew a pie chart of who I am. Since I can't really do that on this blog, I'll just write out the percents.

Corinna Rae Lucotch:
25% Family and heritage
25% Education
25% Religion (Catholic), values, and beliefs
12% Music and other activities
13% Friends

Okay, I'll admit, these percentages are pretty arbitrary. I feel like since I am a very expressive person, everything is important to me, and it was hard to just pick a few things, let alone number their importance. I would say that the most important aspect is my family and heritage. Quite frankly, where would we be without our roots? Part of traveling is cultural exchange. That is, a dialogue of cultures, not just sponging up another culture. To me, that's incredibly selfish, but a one-sided conversation is not worth having. My family and heritage touches every aspect of who I am. For example, this weekend is Easter. My family's eastern-european culture touches every aspect of the weekend, from the food, to the music, to the traditions, to attending mass every day.

Next important to me is my religion. Now really, I'm not the most religious person I know. Not even close. However, growing up steeped in the culture of Catholicism has been an incredible experience I'll never forget. In fact, I want to pass it on to my children. My dad works for the church, I attended Catholic school for 12 years, and I rarely miss Sunday Mass. Going into college, all of my values were formed in conjunction with my religion. As I matured and went out on my own, my values were tested and shaped, but I still hold on to the culture that has given me so much- I can't help but be grateful. It's impossible to describe me without that aspect of who I am.

Next important is education. I honestly kind of did this partly out of obligation, but I do believe education is a great privilege. If you are lucky enough to have it, you better be proud of it and not waste it, because it is just that, a privilege. Even in our own families, people have given up their own shot at education so that their loved ones could have it.

My friends are next. I feel like they deserve more than 13% of my time, but it's the best I could do without going over 100%. As we grow up, we meet people who shape us. Some stick, and some fade away. The best kind of friends are those we learn from and we teach them a few things, too. I'm happy to say that, especially in college, I have met some great people. This trickles down into the organizations I am a part of, such as Newman Club (the Catholic one) and U92.

Finally, I used a potpourri section that makes up who I am. Such things as music, activities, etc. Although the things you do are not necessarily life-changing, it still makes you, you. Every once in a while though, there is that song, or sport, or whatever, that kinda reminds you what it's all about, right?

Some of my US privileges are a white, middle class, healthy, girl. They're pretty much the same as described in the checklist. I understand what this article is trying to convey, but I still don't like it. It makes me feel as if I should live in guilt with the hand I've been dealt, because there are people worse off than me. Trust me, I know I think differently than others and that my opinion isn't always in line with the status quo, but this article gets on my nerves. It's such a sweeping generalization. It's almost just as bad to judge all middle-class white people by the factors they can't control, isn't it? It goes both ways. Especially if we are very accepting of others and serve them as if we were serving ourselves.

In Jamaica, we are the minority. Some people idolize us, while some aren't welcoming. It's interesting to see how things play out.

I like it though. It's an opportunity for a new way of seeing the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment