Monday, April 16, 2012

Post-Trip: Back Stateside

After rereading my initial blog posts, I do have to laugh. I sound a little naive. That is perfectly understandable, though. The funny thing is, my preconceptions about Jamaica are totally true. We all said that to each other on the trip - it's not as if there's a side of Jamaica you've never seen before. The tourism department totally plays up their stereotype. That's not bad, though. Jamaica is a vibrant and relaxed culture, with interesting food, people, and customs. That's good, because it means Jamaicans really have nothing to hide; what you see is what you get.

I do feel like I got a great impression of Jamaica as a people and a culture. This was partly because we didn't stay in a hotel; we lived with people native to the beautiful country. We ate real Jamaican food and overheard real Jamaican music and watched real Jamaican television. We aren't experts on Jamaica, but I think we have a better taste for the country than the average American tourist.

This global service-learning trip has changed me in ways I never expected. First, I learned that you can't change the world in a day. Maybe what we do is only a small part, but it's part of something greater than ourselves. That being said, I have learned the importance of organization and preparedness, in planning and in packing. It's easy to see how quickly things fall apart without some semblance of order being maintained by someone.

Iyer's reasons for traveling have taken on a newer meaning for me, as well. This was a great article to read because I had never traveled before. I learned the importance of cultural exchange and embarking on new adventures while your old life is left at home. I also felt the importance of fully letting yourself become immersed in another culture, even if it means fish pancakes for breakfast.

Even more than Iyer's article, "To Hell With Good Intentions" held a bigger meaning for me. As I viewed the extreme poverty of the Jamaican people, I didn't feel bad. Why am I so sure that these people want to live like Americans? What makes middle-class America so desirable above all else? I mostly just observed how Jamaicans went through their day. "To Hell" really put things in perspective for me, and prepared me for those moments when we weren't greeted with open arms by locals.

2 comments:

  1. Cori, your blog was a really interesting read and you brought up some great points. I like the fact that you distinguished the difference between tourists and Amizade tourists in your “Day 6” blog post. I think that it was important that you noted how “we are able to differentiate between cultural exchange and using Jamaica as a tourist trap.” I felt that experiencing the things we did before Negril didn’t sour the experience for us, but made us more aware and allowed us to see the tourist beach for what it was just like you said. I think that Jamaica was a great place for you to start your traveling experiences and am glad that it opened your eyes and allowed you to form some new perspectives. I am even happier that I got to experience your first study abroad trip with you, not to mention honored that everyone thought I was your sister. You are so beautiful inside and out, Cori, and I know that you will take that optimism and “fresh look” on things with you as you continue your travels around the world. Love you sista!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was your first time on a plane, seeing an ocean, and being to a different country! I admire the fact that you chose a service trip as your first abroad experience. I know you experienced many feelings on the trip. The fact wrote our efforts in Jamaica were small but part of something bigger shows me you developed a mature and realistic perspective of what service learning was like for you in Petersfield. I agree with you, organization and planning are wonderful things. You handled the chaos and unorganized schedule well though. Your blog is laid out well! You addressed the prompts while putting in your input, too. I’m so glad we were able to share this experience ☺ I think it’s great we had some different experiences and understandings during the trip. I love that we were able to talk about them and take time to understand where the other person was coming from. Love you!

    ReplyDelete